Monday 1 December 2014

Review: The Law of Moses

The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon

Synopsis:

If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.

Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.

It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.

And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.

And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.

My Rating:


5 ++++ STARS 

My Review:

“There are laws. There are rules. And when you break them, there are consequences. Laws of nature and laws of life. Laws of love and laws of death.”


First of all.... WOW !! 
What a beautiful, unique story. A must read. Amy Harmon is an incredibly gifted, beyond perfection author !! Her books touch me, connect to me in many ways. They stay with me for a long time. She is one of the best authors i have ever read ! infact top 3 :)
This story is about Georgia & Moses, two entirely different personalities yet a strong bond among them. Georgia is a blonde Cowgirl, lively, funny, stubborn and having a great love of horses. Moses is a cracked baby abandoned in a laundry basket and a mesmerizing artist who expresses his thoughts through his paintings. But he has a "SECRET". A secret that makes him different from all others, that makes him the way he is.
I don't prefer adding anymore spoilers. Just to let you know it was a great book, it can be classified in the Paranormal genre as well. Thou shall read it. 

Yet Georgia falls for him. For that cracked baby, that lonely, strange, messed up man he's turned into.

“I’m a very ordinary girl, Moses. I know that I am. And I always will be. I can’t paint. I don’t know who Vermeer is, or Manet for that matter. But if you think ordinary can be beautiful, that gives me hope. And maybe sometime you’ll think about me when you need an escape from the hurt in your head.”


"Let the water fall. Let it come crashing down. Let it flow through your head and out your eyes. Water is clear when it washes the pain away. Clear when it cleanses. Let it take the colors away.”

I really sobbed a number of times while reading this book. It touched my heart, as simple as that.

One of the great thing about this book was its Prologue.
“If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.” 

When I was almost at the end, I went back to the prologue and read it again. That prologue had given me a whole different way of guessing the ending but of course it didn't end that way. !
It was truly commendable. I love Amy Harmon's style of writing. You must read it to find it out yourself !
This story is full of emotions, sadness, feelings and how Fate plays it role in our lives. !
Recommended to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment